We invite you to view our upcoming seminar options and to review our assessment criteria.
The Barrier Free Education Programme 2 day seminar consists of three modules. Overview detail for the modules are provided below.
You may register online for any of our upcoming seminars.
The fee for the 2-day seminar is $550+GST. Assessments of Modules 1-3 are optional and cost $250+GST.
If a resubmission is required, the fee's are as follows: for Module 1-3 assessments $350 + GST
Please be aware that the 2-day seminar is not an introductory course to the building legislation. Participants benefit best when they have a basic understanding of the NZ Buiding Act 2004, Building Code, and Compliance Documents.
Module 1: Experiencing the Accessible Journey
Module 1 will give an understanding of the Accessible Journey and what it means for people with disabilities. This Module will raise awareness of what a barrier free and accessible environment could look like and what it means to be disabled by the physical environment.
- Personal experiences of the Accessible Journey
- Universal Design principles
- The Accessible Route
- Visible and hidden impairments
- Examples of accessible and inaccessible built environs
- Vision impaired guest speaker
Module 2: The Law, Access and the Accessible Journey
Module 2 will inform about the building legislation and guidelines related to access requirements in the built environment.
Participants must be familiar with the Building Act 2004, Building Code and Compliance Documents, Building Regulations, and NZS 4121:2001.
- Building Act 2004
- Building Code and Compliance Documents
- Building Regulations
- NZ Standard 4121:2001
- Building Consent Process
- Compliance Schedules
- Key players
Module 3: Designing the Accessible Journey
Module 3 will give an understanding of what is required in the design process to ensure an accessible built environment that complies with the relevant regulations.
- Universal Access design and the Accessible Journey
- Practical Design principles
- Basic factors of Accessibility
- Best Practice: Minimum, Better, Best.
- Ergonomic Information
- Practical exercise: Read and interpret plans for Access, reporting back, and discussion
- Guest presenter with physical impairment
Module 4: Assessing the Accessible Journey
Module 4 will give an understanding of how to assess the Accessible Journey in the built environment using the Barrier Free Checklist and relevant documentation.
- Overview of the legal requirements for Access
- NZS 4121 – How this fits in?
- How to assess accessibility features during the construction process
- Issuing Code Compliance Certificates – does it comply?
- Format and use of the Barrier Free Checklist
- Practical exercise: Auditing a building, reporting back, and discussion.
Cost for attending a 2day seminar (Modules 1 - 4) $550 + GST
Register now for the 2-day seminar!
Module 5: Becoming a Barrier Free Advisor
The Trust provides an opportunity for people who have completed a 2-day Barrier Free Seminar and successfully passed the assessments of Modules 1 - 4, to further their training to become an accredited Barrier Free Advisor (BFA).
Attendance at a Module 5 training day is compulsory for people who wish to become an accredited BFA. Following the training day, trainee BFA's will be required to complete and pass 3 major assessments, after which time application to become an accredited BFA can be forwarded to the Trust office.
The Module 5 training day will cover:
- Mission and Role of the Trust
- Role of a BFA
- Accreditation process
- Guidelines and exercises in report writing
- How to give access advice to clients
- Report writing
- Promote yourself - tips and tricks!
- Ways to keep in the "access loop"
Cost for attending a Module 4 training day: $375 + GST
Module 5 assessments: Three assessments at $250 + GST each
Any resubmissions of a Module 5 report is also $250 + GST each
Accreditation: $100 + GST